Dear VBC families,
We had a wonderful but different day of VBC. Peace is growing here at St. Thomas, and we are all blessed by it.
Thank you so much for…
- Remembering sunscreen. The weather is a bit cooler and cloudier, but it is still a good idea.
- Remembering hydration before and after VBC. Personal water bottles are welcome – please label them.
- Remembering shoes or sandals that are secured to campers’ feet. Safety is our first priority.
- Donating healthy snacks for our community outreach project. See attachment for more information, and look for the bin as you enter the church.
We are aware that tomorrow and Friday’s forecast calls for light rain in the morning. If it is just very light sprinkles, campers will have recreation outside. If it is more than light sprinkles, we will move recreation indoors. Please send a light jacket with your camper tomorrow. Wet campers are not happy campers!
What did campers do today?
- The craft project today was dream catchers. Campers chose fabric to wrap the rings, wove the “catcher” part, and added cloth streamers. What a cool tactile project! (Note – all projects will come home Friday – or sooner for campers not attending all week.)
- In Outreach campers learned about Neighbors in Need – see attachment. Tomorrow they will be stuffing Neighbors in Need bags, but today they made PEACE cards and signed them (first names only). These cards will go in the bags. Two of these bags will come home with all the craft projects your camper has made. These bags are intended to be given to anyone in need: the homeless, the hungry, or the person on a street corner with a sign asking for help. Keep it in your car to give the next time your camper sees a Neighbor in Need.
- In our Holy Eucharist service campers experienced a skit about Ruth, Naomi, and Boaz. They heard readings from the letter to the Colossians, Psalm 85, and the Gospel of Matthew. They sang, prayed, and everyone came to the altar for communion or a blessing. Thank you for allowing us to share Jesus with your camper in this way – it was a blessing to us all!
- Today’s snack was granola bars, string cheese, red seedless grapes, and ice cold water. Good nutrition to keep campers going!
- In Recreation, campers played Amoeba Tag and Sharks & Minnows. We have tried to select games that are more cooperative and less competitive – we can have peace even in a highly energetic setting!
- In Music, campers learned another verse of “Plant a Seed” and continued working on their own group’s verse for “I’ve got peace like a river.”
Mark your calendars for 10:30 am this Sunday, August 5th. All VBC campers, their families, and volunteers are invited to St. Thomas for VBC Sunday. Campers can be in church with their adults or they are invited and encouraged to attend Children’s Summer Formation in the Kids Club Room (VBC Craft Lab.) Campers will join the congregation at the Peace, and they will sing a special song during the offertory. Nursery care will also be available. Campers are encouraged to wear their camp T-shirts too!
I have had many roles in VBC over the years: group leader, storytelling/drama leader, chapel leader. This is my first year coordinating all of VBC, and I am so blessed. I am blessed by the faithful returning volunteers, the energy and enthusiasm of the youth volunteers, but mostly I am blessed by all of these campers… as they come close to God through music, crafts, games, scripture, food, and fellowship. Seeds of peace are growing in these children, and the world will be a better place because of it. Thanks be to God!
Peace & blessings,